Hi Eboni, thanks for sharing! It’s great that you were able to help in after school activities because it gives you more insight then just student teaching component. I too took a few Spanish classes in high school and only know the basics. You make a great point about how experiences can teach a lot about someone’s culture and language. Ortega discusses how there can be many outcomes "when learning an additional language in a variety of contexts" (Ortega, 2013, p.2) speaks to what you are talking about. So many outcomes can occur when learning an additional language but that is also in a variety of contexts such as classroom versus personal experiences.
Ortega, L. (2013). Understanding second language acquisition. London: Routledge
Hey Eboni! So first off I want you to know that I am right there with you when it comes to working on homework and trying to keep my daughter tame for a few minutes! haha I did find it awesome that you work in after school activities and you were able to get that experience. I agree when you stated that you have to be in the real word to pick up a language and not just behind a desk. I also took Spanish all through middle school and high school, but didn't pick up anything. "SLA as a field is interested in understanding the acquisition of second languages in both naturalistic and instructed contexts." (Ortega, 2012, 23) With that being said, I think the instructed route is not as effective as the naturalistic route. I truly believe people learn better by being in the field or around the culture. Thanks for sharing!
Ortega, L. (2013). Understanding second language acquisition. London: Routledge
Hello Kirstie! I enjoyed reading your comment, and I completely agree with you on the fact that learning another language through life experiences is more effective than learning it behind a desk. I have to put more effort into learning a second language because as Rowland (2014) states, “For many of these children, multilingualism is necessary if they are to communicate effectively.” (pg. 175). If I want to effectively teach my students, I must learn how to communicate with them first!
Rowland, C. (2014). Understanding child language acquisition. Routledge.
Hey Eboni, thanks for commenting on my blogger. I really do appreciate that shout out, so for that, I thank you for the recognition. As for your mother, I want to personally thank her for her service, and I know that is a great leap to take in life. I spoke English mostly at home because my dad did not understand Vietnamese. Yes, I do wish that my mother spoke more Vietnamese around my brother and I, that way we could've gotten used to speaking to her in Vietnamese, even if it was a short phrase or not. Ortega explains, "learning an additional language in a variety of contexts" holds numerous possibilities of outcomes (Ortega p.23). I think I would be a prime example of how I had the opportunity to speak Vietnamese, but failed to because of the context as to which I was in: my father being a monolingual White individual, and mother a bilingual Vietnamese/Indian individual. If I applied myself, I know I could have accomplished learning Vietnamese. To do this though, you have to speak Vietnamese on the daily. Growing up in my household, I would still say that wouldn't happen because we still spoke majority English.
Ortega, L. (2013). Understanding second language acquisition. London: Routledge
Hi Eboni, thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteIt’s great that you were able to help in after school activities because it gives you more insight then just student teaching component. I too took a few Spanish classes in high school and only know the basics. You make a great point about how experiences can teach a lot about someone’s culture and language. Ortega discusses how there can be many outcomes "when learning an additional language in a variety of contexts" (Ortega, 2013, p.2) speaks to what you are talking about. So many outcomes can occur when learning an additional language but that is also in a variety of contexts such as classroom versus personal experiences.
Ortega, L. (2013). Understanding second language acquisition. London: Routledge
Hey Eboni! So first off I want you to know that I am right there with you when it comes to working on homework and trying to keep my daughter tame for a few minutes! haha I did find it awesome that you work in after school activities and you were able to get that experience. I agree when you stated that you have to be in the real word to pick up a language and not just behind a desk. I also took Spanish all through middle school and high school, but didn't pick up anything. "SLA as a field is interested in understanding the acquisition of second languages in both naturalistic and instructed contexts." (Ortega, 2012, 23) With that being said, I think the instructed route is not as effective as the naturalistic route. I truly believe people learn better by being in the field or around the culture. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteOrtega, L. (2013). Understanding second language acquisition. London: Routledge
Hello Kirstie! I enjoyed reading your comment, and I completely agree with you on the fact that learning another language through life experiences is more effective than learning it behind a desk. I have to put more effort into learning a second language because as Rowland (2014) states, “For many of these children, multilingualism is necessary if they
Deleteare to communicate effectively.” (pg. 175). If I want to effectively teach my students, I must learn how to communicate with them first!
Rowland, C. (2014). Understanding child language acquisition. Routledge.
Hey Eboni, thanks for commenting on my blogger. I really do appreciate that shout out, so for that, I thank you for the recognition. As for your mother, I want to personally thank her for her service, and I know that is a great leap to take in life.
ReplyDeleteI spoke English mostly at home because my dad did not understand Vietnamese. Yes, I do wish that my mother spoke more Vietnamese around my brother and I, that way we could've gotten used to speaking to her in Vietnamese, even if it was a short phrase or not. Ortega explains, "learning an additional language in a variety of contexts" holds numerous possibilities of outcomes (Ortega p.23). I think I would be a prime example of how I had the opportunity to speak Vietnamese, but failed to because of the context as to which I was in: my father being a monolingual White individual, and mother a bilingual Vietnamese/Indian individual. If I applied myself, I know I could have accomplished learning Vietnamese. To do this though, you have to speak Vietnamese on the daily. Growing up in my household, I would still say that wouldn't happen because we still spoke majority English.
Ortega, L. (2013). Understanding second language acquisition. London: Routledge